Each year, thousands of hardworking individuals and families in our community find themselves in an unexpected financial crisis. Whether you’re facing an illness, vulnerable to losing your home, unemployed, or are simply unable to make ends meet, East Cooper Community Outreach (ECCO) is here to provide guidance and resources for those in need of emergency financial assistance.
ECCO’s financial assistance is available to ECCO clients living or working in our 10-zip code service area. Clients may receive assistance with their utility bills, monthly rent, or mortgage payments one time per year between July 1st and June 30th of the following year. As of March 1st, 2023 the Financial Assistance application is only open until the 10th of each month OR until our monthly budgeted funds are spent.
Assistance is not guaranteed and is determined by the following criteria and administered/processed by our Client Navigators:
- A sudden loss of income in the past 60 days (ex: laid off, fired, or hours were greatly reduced)
- An unusual increase in expenses in the past 60 days
- Circumstances that have put an unreasonable financial burden on a household and which could not have been predicted, anticipated, or expected in the past 60 days (ex: car or home repairs, unexpected medical bill, unexpected death in the family)
In order to receive financial assistance, eligible clients are required to provide one of the following items:
- Pay stubs showing loss of income in the past 60 days
- Past and present utility bills showing the increased bills in the past 60 days
- Receipts showing the unforeseen expense in the past 60 days
- Letter from employer with the last day of work/or verification of termination or an unemployment benefits letter
If you are unsure about your eligibility, please call ECCO at (843) 849-9220, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- A follow-up call by an ECCO staff member will be made within 5 business days using the contact information you provide.
- If your application is approved, payment will be made directly to the service provider within 10-15 business days.
To qualify for financial assistance, ECCO clients need to fill out the Financial Assistance Inquiry form. Not a client? Click here to learn more about our client eligibility!