Asset Development Program
East Cooper Community Outreach’s (ECCO) Asset Development Program (ADP) is a matched savings account program helping individuals purchase long-term assets. It’s the only matched savings program in the Lowcountry. Launched in 2019, this program was designed to help local individuals and families save money through a matched savings program.
The program can assist with the following:
- Purchase of a new home
- Start a new or expand an existing small business
- Pay for post-secondary education
Individuals accepted into this program can have their savings matched 3 to 1. For every $1 you save, we’ll match it with $3!
This program is designed to support eligible individuals by providing the necessary tools and financial education to achieve economic stability. Learn how to develop a budget and set goals, establish regular savings habits, and invest in productive assets.
Participants make regular deposits to a special ADP savings account, held at a local financial institution partner. When the savings goal is reached and asset-specific training has been completed, ECCO sends a check for the purchase to the closing agency, college, or vendor.”
Example: A local neighbor has been saving for years, but needs that extra push to make the downpayment of his very first home. After six months of making deposits to his ADP account, he finally reached his $1,000 goal. ECCO matched that amount 3 to 1 and sent a check of $3,000 to his closing agent to complete his full downpayment.
- Commit to staying in the ADP program until reaching your savings goal.
- Deposit at least $25 each month into the account while participating in the program
- Be enrolled in the ADP Program for at least six (6) months before withdrawing from your account
- Attend financial education and participate in asset-specific ownership preparation training
- Participants receive a 3:1 match on their savings (up to $3,000)
- Case Management Services
- Financial Education Trainings
- Asset-Specific Training regarding homeownership, entrepreneurship/business, or post-secondary education
- One (1) year follow-up
Who is eligible to apply?
Residents of Charleston, Berkeley, or Dorchester counties with income at or below 250% of the Federal Poverty level, with an earned income from traditional wages or some form of self-employment.
How to apply: Please contact our ADP coordinator, Lyndsi Holst, for more information. Feel free to reach her by phone at (843) 416-7120 or by email at lholst@ECCOcharleston.org.
When applying, you’ll need to provide the following information:
- Proof of residency in Charleston, Dorchester, or Berkeley counties (valid state license, or another form of identification – passport, social security card)
- Proof of current income (recent pay stub, a letter from employer, etc. or another way to show earned income)
You are automatically eligible if you can provide documentation of one of the following items:
- TANF check from DSS
- Proof you receive SNAP benefits
- Medicaid card
- Proof that your child(ren) participate in Free or reduced lunch at school
- Your taxes show an EITC refund
If you don’t have any of the items listed above, please bring your most recent tax return.