Emergency Response Efforts
East Cooper Community Outreach (ECCO) has been an active and motivating force in East Cooper Community disaster preparedness and planning since 1989, at its origin following Hurricane Hugo. ECCO believes that it is necessary for our community to be informed of the importance of having a ‘Family Disaster Plan’ and a ‘Family Disaster Kit’ to better protect yourself and your loved ones in any type of disaster situation.
One important way to get prepared is to develop a Family Disaster Checklist. Your hurricane preparedness kit should include:
- Flashlight with Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Matches and candles
- Battery operated or hand-cranked radio
- Bottled water (1 gallon per day per person for three days)
- Canned and non-perishable foods
- Manual Can Opener
- If you have a baby – infant food and diapers
- If you have a pet – food and water
- Extra eyeglasses, hearing aids (if needed)
- Personal hygiene products
- Sleeping bag or warm blankets for each person
- Legal Documents
- Garbage bags, moist towelettes, mess kits or paper cups, plates, towels, etc.
Since 2019, our friends at Lowe’s Mount Pleasant have donated the supplies to create hurricane preparedness kits for ECCO’s clients, including many of the items above. Watch our social media in August for updates on this annual partnership!