Many churches, schools and businesses donate Food or Clothing to ECCO. For an easy way to host a food drive go to www.yougivegoods.com
Common questions to ask yourself before starting a food drive:
- What dates do you want your food drive to occur?
- Do you want the food drive to have a theme, such as “help the hungry?”
- Have you contacted ECCO to find out what we need?
- Do you have a committee of helpers?
- How will you publicize the drive?
- Do you want ECCO to provide grocery bags and/or flyers?
- Is there a designated person who will deliver the food to ECCO or does we need to pick up the food at the end of the food drive?
Easy steps to a successful food drive
- Select a leader or leadership committee to plan the strategy and theme.
- Determine your drive’s length (from one day to a week or an entire month).
- Contact ECCO before moving forward.
Promote your drive:
- Two weeks before the drive, hang posters, pass out flyers, with the date(s), who will receive the food and what types of food is needed.
- Contact ECCO for any posters or printed materials and bags.
- Build awareness and visibility
- Promote the food drive on your marquee or outside signage.
Many businesses conduct food drives for ECCO and some of the following steps could also help:
- Arrange for an ecco speaker to come to your organization.
- Ask us for information on hunger and use it in your newsletter.
- Be creative and use existing resources! Any type of sturdy box will work (ex: copier paper box) boxes can be decorated and encourage participation. Or we can provide large barrels.
- Place collection containers in convenient, high-traffic areas of your building.
- Create categories to motivate participants, ex: largest individual donation, most unusual food, most pounds per department, etc.
- Themed competitions, ex: Clemson verses South Carolina, accounting vs. sales, etc.
- Match your employees’ donations per pound.
- Give incentives to participate: movie passes, gift certificates, parking spaces, free lunch, casual day, etc.
- Update employees on the progress of the drive.
- Promote via social media! Encourage your staff to follow ECCO on Facebook and Twitter.
For more information please contact Paul Suchy, Warehouse Manager, at pfsuchy@ECCOcharleston.org or call 843.849.9220.
Click here for more information on how to start your own drive, visit www.yougivegoods.com, or call 877-526-4483 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.